Feeling stumped on a plant based protein source, something to have alongside a Buddha bowl or on top of a salad? This recipe has got yo back. I’ve been trying to make more plant based food choices and tofu has definitely been one of the go-to’s since it has a “meaty” texture while being nice to the animals!
If you’re a fan of Chipotle’s sofrita, you’ll love this one! It’s similar in flavour but gives you the versatility to make it your own. Make it more spicy, adjust the acid, change up the seasonings.. make it YOUR fav sofrita recipe! Similar to most of my other recipes, no need to follow the ingredients to a T. If the proportions are a little off, it’ll still taste delish! Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 1 package extra firm organic tofu
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chipotle in adobo sauce – if you like it spicy, add 1-2 chipotle peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small onion (approx 1/2 cup – 125 mL), cubed
- 1 small green bell pepper, cubed, seeds removed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chilli powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt – adjust per preference
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar or sweetener
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
What to do:
- Slice tofu in half (long wise) and press on a towel or paper towel to remove excess fluid. Once fluid removed, cube tofu into preferred bite size pieces or crumble if you like a “ground” tofu mixture.
- In a food processor or blender, add remaining ingredients (except for oil) and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick to blend, add a little more water.
- In a large bowl, mix together tofu and marinade. Allow to sit for at least 30 min – can be left overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a pan to medium-high heat. Add oil until warm. Add tofu marinated mixture and cook through until warmed and slightly golden (approx 10 minutes).
- Add on top of salads, in burrito bowls, tacos.. really anything as a protein source.
Serves approx 6-8 individuals
Tips and Tricks
- This marinate is perfect for freezing – make a couple batches, individually freeze so you have a flavourful marinate for future meals.
- If you’re not a tofu eater (although I feel you should give this one a try!) this will work for chicken and fish too.
- Got some time? Roast your green bell pepper! It’ll add an extra depth of flavour and smokiness.
- I found the Adobo sauce in my local grocery store. It’s a lot more common to find now. Just go to your “International” or “Mexican” food aisle.
- Got extra tomato paste. Store in an air tight container or Ziploc bag and stick in the freezer! Don’t let it go to waste!