I know, I know, yet another PSL inspired dessert on the interwebs. But don’t you worry, this bad girl was inspired by the leftover pumpkin puree I had in the fridge post Thanksgiving pumpkin cheesecake making! If you’re needing a quick sweet fix without the crazy calories, this will be your go to for the fall season. Plus, I know we all are a bit basic and like some PSL flavours in our life every now and then 😉
I’ve mentioned this in my Instagram Stories and FB posts before, but I LOVE adding fruits and vegetables to my baking. It’s not for the nutritional value (although you can significantly cut down the fat and sugar added to baked treats) but the amount of moisture it adds to baked goods. This cake tasted like it was fresh from that morning for the full few days it lasted in our kitchen (it would’ve been delicious a few days later but it was devoured before then!)
This isn’t a super sweet cake but really does showcase the pumpkin and spices added. Plus that orange colour is not exaggerated with Photoshop! It’s actually crazy orange from the pumpkin puree! YUM! Let me know what you think!
- 1 cup (250 mL) pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) white sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp (8 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pecans
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease pan with oil to prevent batter from sticking).
- In a large bowl, add pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix together well.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for pecans) to the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no dry bits and the batter looks moist. Do not over mix otherwise the cake will be tough.
- Pour into the lined loaf pan. Sprinkle with pecans on top.
- Stick into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven then remove from loaf from the pan to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Tips and Tricks:
- Wanna add more fibre to the mix? Sub white flour with whole wheat.
- Trying to cut down on the sugar? Sub equal amounts of pumpkin puree for the sugar!
- Wanting 2 loaves of cake instead of 1? It’s definitely a recipe you can double to make more treats for others!