It’s that time of year again – BBQ season! It’s pretty toasty here in Vancouver (relative to the gloomy rest of the year we’re used to) which means cooking outside on the grill (and keeping our homes cool at the same time). Eating your veggies can be boring if you’re doing it wrong but this super easy grilled veg recipe will add a yummy kick to your sides this summer. Just cut up some veggies, add the marinade and stick on the grill! No prep or marinating time needed!
- 2 zucchini, angle sliced, 1 cm thick
- 2 large eggplant, sliced, 0.5cm thick
- 2 bell peppers, cut into large cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- Optional: 2 tbsp (15 mL) fresh Thai basil, chopped
What to do:
- Preheat grill to medium – medium high heat.
- Cut up the vegetables. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the marinade. Add to the vegetables.
- Place vegetables individually on grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side on open grill until grill marks appear and vegetables have softened.
- Transfer to serving tray. Garnish with additional basil leaves (optional).
Tips & Tricks:
- You can use any grillable vegetable you choose so mix it up! Other options include mushrooms, yellow squash, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots.. the list goes on!
- Wanting a protein as a side to these veggies? Use the same marinade for your tofu or chicken and allow to marinate as you cook the veggies.
- Like your veggies on the softer side? Cook for a couple minutes longer on each side or close the lid of the BBQ for 1-2 minutes instead. This recipe cooks the veg to allow it to still have a bit of a bite to them.